Friday 1 August 2008

Simrik: Colours of Poubha




My name is Lok Chitrakar. I have been painting for the last 35 years. I live in Patan dhoka.
'Poubha' is derived from the Sanskrit word that literally means pictures of Gods. It is therefore a devotional art form. Poubha has both Hindu and Buddhist themes.

I have had to sacrifice many things in life to pursue this. I used to work 7-18 hours a day. Sometimes it surprises me to see how 35 years gone by as if it were 35 days.

There are two aspects to this art. What you see is the technical aspect...but there are also those aspects that precede this: what subject should one paint? Searching out the theme. Studying these aspects.

In terms of the technical aspects we prepare the canvas ourselves, grind the stone colours, prepare the brushes and do the drawings. It is only then that the painting begins.

The eyes of the deity are painted last. The 'opening' of the eyes means that the painting is alive and it is then put in a place of worship.

At 7-10 hours a day a small painting will take about 3 months to finish. Foreign museums have been buying such works but for an individual it will be difficult.

We cannot stop technology, but we must think of how we can balance the old with the new and move forward together. I have nothing against technological advancement. My daughter does not want to take up this art and my son is not interested at all.

I am not interested in my family members alone continuing this art. Anyone who is dedicated can learn...I have 3-4 students who have been with me for the last 15-16 years and they continue to do this art.

I cannot predict the future of anything. But if we cannot hand these over to the new generation there is no future for any of these traditions. It is the duty of the state to preserve these traditions.

No comments: